11 Feb 2010Since Mt Difficulty opened its Cellar Door in 2003, high on Templars Hill behind the winery, the venue has been praised for its ambience and sensational views. Since opening, the style of cuisine has evolved from simple cafe style food to elegant lunches. These are best enjoyed in a leisurely fashion on the terrace which overlooks the Cromwell basin and the gold-mining sluicings of Bannockburn.
Chef Werner Hecht-Wendt produces imaginative, regional cuisine, favouring fresh, local ingredients. The menu features both platters and more substantial fare, including Werner’s signature dish of duck with raspberry and cassis sauce. Seating is limited so reservations are essential. View the menu.
Some recent comments from visitors to the Mt Difficulty Cellar Door and Restaurant:
- “Best meal so far. Well done.” Heather and Tim Ryan, Auckland
- “Delicious and spectacular.” Marie and Gerard Whit, Melbourne
- “Yummy food and wine, great service, awesome weather.” John and Suzanne Sim, Albany
- “View and food stunning. Great Pinot!” David and Anne Hughes, Workingham UK
- “What a spot!” Ed and Wendy Cage, USA
- “Lovely lunch. Lovely venue. Awesome.” Jane-Anne Smith, Oamaru
- “Great food and service.” Steve and Karen Tyler, Topeka Kansas