The Cellar Door
The Cellar Door at Mt Difficulty showcases its wines to thousands of visitors annually. It's the perfect spot to experience Mt Difficulty's unique hospitality while taking in the magical views of Bannockburn's dramatic rugged rock and thyme landscape.
The venue sits high above the winery on Felton Road, perched on a rocky outcrop looking across the Cromwell basin to Lake Dunstan. The contemporary building was first opened in February 2003, with the wine tasting counter and the restaurant sharing the space inside. In 2011 the decision was made to create a separate wine tasting area to improve the experience of both wine enthusiasts and diners. The new Cellar Door extension opened in May 2012 allowing us to welcome many more friends, both new and old, to share a little of the essence of Central Otago with us.
Wine Tasting experience:
- Wine tasting – a full range of Mt Difficulty and Roaring Meg wines to taste (tasting charge is a gold coin – $1 or $2)
- Passionate staff who will cater to your tastes and level of wine experience
- Retail sales, with national and international wine delivery options
- Wine Clubs, offering the chance to buy wines at special "members only" prices - more information
Casual wine tastings do not require a booking, but we recommend that groups of six or more should contact us prior to visiting.
For wine tasting enquiries please contact email@example.com or phone +64 3 445 3445 ext 1.
The Cellar Door at Mt Difficulty is open seven days a week from 10.30am-4.30pm with summer hours operating from Christmas to Easter: 10.30-5.30pm
Public holidays & Closures
The Cellar Door Restaurant is closed on the following days:
- New Years Day, January 1st
- Friday January 29th 2016 – closed from 12.30pm until 4pm (ie, open from 10.30am-12.30pm then again from 4-5.30pm)
- Good Friday (the Friday prior to Easter weekend)
- ANZAC Day, April 25th
- Christmas Eve through to Boxing Day, December 24th – 26th (three days)
Click here for directions to Mt Difficulty Wines.